Sunday, April 17, 2005

In Search of Malgudi

Hello Friends...
The only thing that is constant is Change. And there has been a change for me too. I am now posted in Gurgaon for some time. Right now I am going through the process of searching for a place to stay. Well this place is certainly different from Chennai. The other day I was reflecting on my days spent in Chennai...Close to five fruitful years in Chennai. My first job! Though I haven't left Chennai permanantly, but hey I can still feel nostalgic about my time in Chennai.

I don't know how appropriate my thought was, but on landing in Chennai (I had come to Chennai after spending two wonderful years in Assam), the thought in my mind was "Will I find a Malgudi here?". Now let me explain. I know Malgudi does not exist. It is a mythical village created by R.K.Narayanan. What I was searching for was the essence of Malgudi. There are certain things that Malgudi and the people of Malgudi signified. Firstly the people depicted were a close knit group which had very strong roots but at the same time were forward looking. The embracing of newer things was a part and parcel of things at Malgudi. The other aspect that appealed to me was the simple thinking of the people and their god fearing nature. This is what I was looking for in Chennai and the people of Chennai.

And did I find them? Was my search for Malgudi successful in Chennai? Well don't be shocked if I say that Chennai is all that Malgudi signifies. At least the people that I came in contact with signified all these things. In my quest for knowledge I found an able mentor who was able to not just guide me in my learning but also motivate me to go beyond what I thought were my limits. I found a friend who always went out of his way to help me. I was really lucky to have had a group which was very forward looking and goal oriented and at the same time had very strong roots and their feet on the ground. I am proud to have been associated with such great guys and I am sure this association will continue for a very long time.

Well Malgudi had its share of treachery and I too had a small share of treacherous and selfish people who tried to use me or take me for a ride. But then my stay would have been Utopian without them and as we all know Utopia does not exist. I don't hold anything against them.

Well so for some time its bye bye Chennai and Hello Gurgaon (Delhi). I hope that this land of Guru Dronacharya (that's why its named Gurgaon) blesses me in a manner that Chennai blessed me with. So folks more postings soon.......
A Belated Happy New Year to all my Tamil Friends and Happy Bihu to my Assamesse Friends....
Cherio

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Good Yaar.... I Love You buddy..........................

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home