Thursday, April 21, 2005

Ad Sense

I am What I am.

Walking back home from office I came across this big sign board having the Reebok Ad which made me stop and think. The ad-maker achieved his objective. Will I buy a Reebok (or Rbk as it is called now) next time I need sneakers or not is a question that I can't answer but then the Ad was powerful enough to make me contemplate and remember the brand.

During my B.Com days I had come across a book "Marketing in the New millennium by Philip Kotler". It is by far the only study book that I really enjoyed and never felt that I was studying whenever I was reading it. It contained many case studies and anecdotes about both successful and unsuccessful marketing campaigns. That Ads are a very powerful medium of reaching out to the audience is a foregone conclusion. But then you have all different types of Ads, some really good, sensitive and caring, some funny to the core, some with a message and some thrilling.

Which type of Ad is most effective? Now this is a million dollar question and I am sure lots of Thesis must have been written on this! It may depend on the product or the target audience or hundred other things. But which Ads have you liked the most? Recently I got a CD full of foreign Ads from my Friend Keerthi. Most of them were really good. Among the Indian Ads my favorite (and I guess one of the Longest running Ad campaigns) is that of Amul Butter. If you have the time check out the Amul Butter Girl Story and also various Amul Butter Girl Ads. Another Ad campaign that has always brought laughter has been the Fevicol Ads. Sticking to a simple theme relating to a common man its really strikes you and I guess Fevicol is now synonym with glue. Another Ad campaign which has always made me sway and humm to its tune has been the Cadbury Ads.

The other cool thing about some nice ads is their catch lines. Power is Nothing without Control - Firelli. Philips - Sense and Simplicity . I am sure a lot of thought and effort goes into creating such catch lines.

The most exorbitant Ad campaigns are most certainly by the cola giants. Barring a few I find most of them utterly senseless and preposterous. I guess even if 1/10th of the expenditure of the Ads of the Soft Drink companies was diverted towards development works we would have a lot of Development.....

Anyways do share with me your favorite Ad...
Until next Post...
Cherio


[photos ctsy: Reebok.com and Amul.com ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home